Teachers are trained to manage children (whole classrooms of them!), so it stands to reason that they’d have some great ideas for how to get kids to behave. We’ve compiled a list of excellent teacher tips that work for parents too.
1. Remain calm at all times. This includes keeping a steady, even tone of voice and not giving in to shouting or high-pitched tones. This reminds the kids that you’re the one in control – of them and of yourself.
2. Have “non-negotiables”. Let the kids know that there are certain things that won’t be tolerated, whether it’s saying “Shut up!”, telling tales or physical violence, and make sure that these are well-established. When they know that there’s a certain line that can’t be crossed, they’ll rein in their behavior. And if they do cross the line…
3. Follow through with the consequences. Everyone knows kids crave structure, and part of that is ensuring that there are consequences for breaking the rules. It’s important to make sure you follow through on this each and every time. The lesson should be clear: rules are rules and when they’re broken a punishment will follow.
4. Use non-verbal communication. When the kids are fighting or won’t pay attention to you, try clapping your hands or turning off the lights. Use the element of surprise to distract them from what they’re doing and get them to look your way.
5) Whisper to get their attention. If you’re trying to get a word in edgewise when the kids are being loud, try using a soft, whispery tone of voice. They’ll quiet down out of sheer curiosity to know what it was you said.
6) Stay neutral. It’s obvious that parents should avoid favoring one child over the other, but sometimes it’s hard to avoid favoring one. Pay particular attention to this when the children are arguing amongst themselves, as it’s easy to automatically side with the one who’s less of a trouble-maker! Make sure that you view each situation as a new one and treat both sides fairly.
Are you a teacher? Do you have any other helpful tips? Let us know in the comments!
Image by mdanys